Hotel Icaraí Praia Hotel
Rua Belizário Augusto, 21 – Icaraí – Niterói
Tel.:(55 – 21) 2612-5030
Fax: (55 – 21) 2710-6142
Tower Icaraí Hotel
Av. Alm. Ary Parreiras, 12 - Icaraí, Niterói - RJ - Brasil - CEP:24230-320
R. Joaquim Távora, 42 - Icaraí, Niterói - RJ - Brasil - CEP: 24230-540
Tel.: (55 21) 2612-2121/
Rua General Andrade Neves, 118, Centro, Niterói – RJ
Tel.: +55 (21) 2620-8008 / 2620-5618
Niterói Palace Hotel
Rua Gal. Andrade Neves, 134 - Centro, Niterói - RJ - Brasil
Tel.: 55 21 2716-5250 | 2620-2155
Fax: 55 21 2719-2800
Rua General Osório, 62 – São Domingos - Niterói - RJ - Brasil
Tel / Fax: (21) 3604-1681 / (21) 8698-4334 / Nextel: ID 55*118*45535
Elite Radio Taxi Niterói
Tel.: (21) 2703-6666
Tel.: (21) 3716-8546
Tel.: (21) 2622-1619
Tel.: (21) 2716-8575
Weather conditions at Niterói
ATM Machines in Brazil and Banking
ATMs in Brazil are everywhere and you won't have any problems using them with a US or EU ATM card.
Banco Bradesco, HSBC, Banco 24 Hors and Banco de Brazil all work well.
Banco 24 Horas tends to charge high fees – their rate is about 10% higher than the interbank rate.
Bradesco is somewhat better – about 5% over interbank rate.
Banco do Brazil is perhaps the most fair – usually charging at the interbank rate itself.
ATM machine for VISA
Long Period Turists
Register with the Brazilian Federal Police
If you do not register within 30 days, you may have a fine of up to R$900,00 upon your return. Do not wait until the last few days of your trip or the paperwork may not have time to be processed. Exception: Any civil servant who is traveling on an official government visa, or traveler on a tourist visa does not need to register.
- Allow plenty of time.
- Notify your hosting institution or meeting logistics personnel in advance they can prepare to assist you with the process.
- Dress nicely. Do not wear shorts, sleeveless t-shirts or beach-type sandals.
Registrants will need to obtain:
- The original visa request (pedido de visto) containing full and complete names - NO ABBREVIATIONS - and which the Brazilian Consulate should have returned, stamped, along with the visa.
- Copies of all (used and unused) pages of passport; these may or may not need to be notarized (autenticadas) at a local notary (cartorio) office (ask).~R1,00
- Two 3 x 4 cm color photos (with white background); these can be obtained at a local (Brazilian) one-hour photo shop. ~R5,00
- Two sets of Gar-Funapol papers; one set is for registration (registro), and the other set is for an identification card (identidade); these papers can be purchased at the local paper store (papelaria), or perhaps even at the Federal Police station. The cost shoudl be about R$1,00 each.
After applicants have delivered the documents listed above and filled out the papers, the Federal Police attendant will send them to Banco do Brasil to pay the registration fee. The fee ranges between R$105,00 and R$135,00.
The Federal Police agent will stamp the passport and give the applicant a small piece of paper, called a protocolo. Travelers should make copies of it and keep one with them at all times. They should note that by the expiration date on the protocolo, they must re-register with the Federal Police. If they are not in the country before the expiration date, they should go as soon as they arrive.
Travelers should receive an ID card within three months with a registration number (RNE = registro nacional de estrangeiro), but should not worry if it doesn't arrive within three months. (It would not be unusual for it to take one year for you to receive the identification card.)
Travelers must always carry this protocolo - and a passport - when traveling in and out of Brazil.
Checklist for Federal Police Registration
Register within 30 days of arrival in Brazil. Do not wait until you are about to leave the country as the paperwork may not have time to be completed before you leave. You may be fined upon your return.
1. Dress nicely. No shorts, sleeveless t-shirts or beachy sandals.
2. Allow plenty of time.
- Someone who speaks Portuguese
- your original visa request (pedido de visto)
- copies of all used and unused pages of passport - these may or may not need to be locally notarized - ask ahead of time.
- two 3 x 4 cm color photos
- two sets of Gar-Funapol papers, R$1,00 each.
- cash to pay the registration fee
4. Make a copy of the protocolo given to you at registration
5. Re-register by the expiration date
Federal Police Registration Site
Av. Rodrigues Alves, 1 - 3º andar - Centro / CEP 20081-250
Phone: (21) 2203-4000 - Fax: (21) 2253-3454
Visit http://www.aai.uff.br/en/ for more information.
Av. Gal. Milton Tavares de Souza, s/nº